Why Parents Lose Custody Of Their Children

Child Holding a Broken Paper Family

Many parents fight for custody because they know that they deserve to take care of their child. However, there are many reasons why courts don’t grant custody. Sometimes, it’s not just because of divorce or infidelity. Here are some reasons parents lose custody of their children:

Military Service

Military members are much respected and appreciated. However, when it comes to getting custody, the law isn’t always in their favor. Courts are obliged to grant custody to the parent who is always present. Even if the parent has relatives who can look after the child while they’re in the military, courts will still be reluctant to provide full custody.

Domestic Violence

Apart from divorce cases, partner abuse plays a huge role in child custody. According to law firms composed of divorce lawyers in Albuquerque, courts do not grant custody to parents confirmed of domestic violence. Feelings of anger and bursts of violence aren’t healthy for a child and may affect his/her personality upon growing up.

Faulty Abuse Accusations

So we know that abusive partners do not receive custody. But, what if the hitting was only an accusation? Can the mother or father still receive custody? The answer is yes. If your ex-partner accuses you of domestic violence only to prove that they’re wrong, you are most likely to receive custody of your child. Accusing domestic violence is a common strategy in divorce and custody cases.

Unsafe Living Spaces

If both parents aren’t living together, courts will look into their living spaces to determine which home is better for the child. Courts check the appearance and location of a house and decide if it is suitable for keeping a child. If you wish to receive full custody of your kid, it is advisable to ask someone experienced in safety and mitigation to assess your living space.

If you are currently fighting for the custody of your child, make sure to work with an experienced lawyer to ensure your presence and strategy in court.